Friday, August 15, 2008

The Olympic gold essay

My first reaction to Abhinav Bindra's Gold medal at Olympics 08 was- 'Ah! finally we have something in our hand'... now after few days of the news settling in ... i think of my school days. i think of my english text books, of chapters that were about P.T Usha.

Ask me what this gold medal means to us! We are a generation of school kids who crammed -' 100 crore population and not even a single gold medal' essay over and over again. I belong to the generation that listened to Barkha or Vikram Chandra on TV raising the same questions, "is it the govt's fault? or is it parent's?" I think of the entrance of my post -grad school, of writing the 25 marks essay on "In the Olympics, few nations are bigger underachievers than India".

And the more i think, the more i envy the school kids of today. I envy the fact that next year their CBSE text books would be all about the 'Golden boy'

And ah! i envy the joy of writing one essay less on issues within India :)

0 Responses: